Thursday, July 5, 2012

ConGRADulations....

This past weekend, my oldest attended his best friend's little brother's graduation party. I asked him later if he'd remembered to take a gift card. The answer was no. He didn't feel he had to. Besides, one of his other friend's probably didn't take anything either. I told him that that didn't make it right. Forget the fact that there were sirens going off in this card maker's head. Didn't take a card? I informed him that I would make a simple card for him to sign and tuck a gift card in. Then we'd mail it off. Because according to some etiquette book, I'm sure it's never too late.



One of the latest Paper Smooches stamp sets I received was Smarty Pants. All school and graduate related. First, I used the mortarboard stamp (which I realized could not be colored in with a black marker because the detail would virtually disappear so I chose a warm gray Copic color.) I stamped it three times on a scrap of white thinking that I'd fussy cut them but then realized that I could achieve that thrown-up-in-the-air look without cutting them out. I just tamed the whiteness of the square with a marker drawn border and mat. I put the cute sentiment on white and matted it for a little more white balance. The mini star in the set added just the right zing to the scene, too. The background papers were scraps from a lovely pad by My Minds Eye called Academy (all glittery school themed papers). I was inspired by Operation Write Home's Sketch #2. Simple, easy. The inside of the card has a notebook-paper-style panel for writing on.

I feel better now. This card will be a pleasant, although belated, surprise for a kid about to embark on a new journey. That makes me smile.

*smile*


3 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

Perfection. Great guy card.

I don't have this set, yet. Sigh.

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Love this! What a great masculine card! So nice. Hope you had a great weekend! :-)

Queen Lightwell said...

Boys! My son sounds just like yours so it must be a boy thing, right? :) The card you made turned out nicely masculine and I'm sure the kid appreciated it. It was really sweet and kind of you to make sure that was taken care of. It's an example like that which will someday cause your son, as a father, to make sure his kids do such thoughtful things and so your kindness will be long remembered and ever growing, as all kindnesses are and do. :)
*sending* you thoughts for a great day,
Deeyll