Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WOYWW #102, WOTT #6 and a set of cards

Welcome, friends, to Julia's What's on Your Workspace Wednesday and another chance at my What's on Tap Tuesday (where we share what we're doing this week by linking in at the bottom of this post).

We all know that one sheet of 8-1/2"x 11" cardstock yields two greeting cards, right? Well, did you know that you can get four 3"x6" cards from one 12"x12" sheet? This size of card fits perfectly in those everyday envelopes that normally only see bill payments, so sad. *smile*

I like to take a collage-y sheet of 12"x12" patterned paper and make these smaller cards for a change sometimes. As it turns out, when I cut up my patterned paper, I wind up with eight panels for the front of cards so I'll use two sheets of cardstock to make eight cards. (Are you still with me or am I being a math nerd?)

Here's how you do it. Cut two 12"x12" cardstock sheets into 6"x6" squares (you'll get four squares from each sheet.) Score each square in half once so that you can fold your squares into 3"x6" cards. Voila! That's done.

Now then, I like to decorate my cards with "collage-y" patterned paper because when I cut it up, none of the resulting panels look alike. My set of cards will compliment each other but they won't be the same. Okay, so now you're going to cut your one 12"x12" sheet into eight panels of 2-3/4"x5-3/4". (You see I merely went in 1/4" on both sides?) On my cards below, I actually added another cardstock panel to pop the image. If you do this, make that panel measure 2-7/8"x5-7/8" and choose a cardstock that is either lighter or darker than your base so that you can really see the distinction between the two.

Here's my desk before I started. I chose a sheet of DP from the Botanical Stack by DCWV (so pretty) and solid cardstocks in green and blue for the base and kraft for the mat. (I've become addicted to playing Scrabble online so I have my iPad on the desk with me. When someone plays their turn I take a second to retaliate.... I mean, respond. Lol.)


Leslie (the Crooked Stamper) thinks my desk looks staged.... *smile*..... but in fact, I'm just showing you what I've chosen to work with (after I shoved everything over a bit) and what you don't see is this next area that is just one hotspot of supplies in the room. It's worse than usual because the supplies are layering up chronologically like sedimentary rock does. Lol.


Finally, I've glued all the panels to mats and card bases and here are the eight resulting cards. I needed one right away, so I stamped a sentiment from Unity's March '11 Kit of the Month and glued on a little bow of pink sorbet twine (from The Twinery).


Now, I'm thinking I should stamp something on the envelope before I mail it. Give it a little thrill that today it's not being used to pay a bill. *smile*

Thanks for coming by. Won't you link up your work area for us to see? And here's your weekly question: What colors do you like combining these days? I love kraft and almost anything.... how about you?

Cindy (aka Scrapcollectr)






11 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Loverleeee cards gal, really pretty..not a standard envelope size here - naturally! You will remember during moments of push back that your lovely glass candlesticks are already in the danger zone?!!

NoraAnne said...

Love the fun card size :) I'll be trying that soon!
My favorite crafty colors (this week) are bright pastels (in the gingham pattern!) But that is subject to change on a regular basis! I am always a hug fan of kraft with fun bright colors, and kraft with black. Oh so many favs! :)

KanataNewf said...

Love what you did with your patterned paper - you are giving me ideas for some of my bolder/bigger patterns in my collection. As for colour combos - I'm in agreement - loving kraft these days. And darker masculine colours - my real love in all those yummy patterned papers out there!

Happy WOTT!

Sheena #2

Emily Leiphart said...

Cindy, I've been making a lot of 3.25 x 6.5 cards lately but I never thought to make them 3 x 6 so thanks for that tip! Your cards are really gorgeous!!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Gorgeous papers. Love what you've done with them. :) Happy WOYWW!

farmhouse-story said...

oh, i'm so glad i finally got here. thanks for the great 3x6 size idea! you write such a great post, cindy! my desk looks the same each week, i should show whats on either side of my work area. its probably more interesting:)

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

OMG, I am going to have to try this size card! Thanks for the math lesson! :)

And yeah, totally staged. But you have redeemed yourself by showing us the "shoved over" part. :)

(Is that a crackberry I see?)

Hopefully I can take a pic tonight and share my shoved-over stuff.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous work ... Have a good Wednesday!

fairyrocks said...

Love those botanical papers.
Love your collector bio.
Keep smiling and creating!!

Cauliflower Cupcake said...

That card is lovely and yes I often think care should be taken a lot more than we tend to do with the envelope decorating. First impressions and all that!
Happy WOYWW
Rebecca (51) x

Anonymous said...

Very pretty cards, I've looked at that stack a couple of times but not succumbed yet! I love the clean working desk and "everything else", sneaky!

Hugs
Brenda 84