Tuesday, June 7, 2011

WOYWW#105 and WOTT#9... sometimes a simple card is enough

Hello friends and welcome to What's on Your Workspace Wednesday and What's on Tap Tuesday. I hope you'll share with us by linking in at the bottom of this post.


My desk is its usual mess, but a happy mess. In the center, you'll see the materials I took out to make a simple card. If you look to the far left of my desk, you'll see some Unity stamps that just came today and they're waiting patiently to be part of a card for the Friday Friends with Flair blog hop.

Now, before I reveal the card, I want to quickly step you through a cool contraption for making bows. A friend gave me this wooden block and pegs that she picked up as a set at Michaels for $2. Yep, $2! It's meant to be used for displaying words/names formed with wooden letters attached to the pegs. My friend suggests using it to make bows like this instead.

First, put two pegs in. (Play with the distance between the pegs to make different sized bows.)


Second, wrap your ribbon around the pegs.


Third, cross the ribbons and take one end around to the back.


Fourth, tie a knot with the two ends.


Slip the bow off the pegs and voila, a pretty bow ready to use on your project.


As for me, I made the simplest of cards. I needed an end-of-school thank you card for my son's bus driver and I remembered seeing a glittery paper with school buses all over it somewhere in my stash so I hunted it down. It comes from a Glitter Pack by My Mind's Eye. I couldn't bear to hide the glittered buses behind other panels so I kept it simple. Just a ribbon across it and a label with the sentiment "Thank You" in Spanish. The bus driver doesn't speak much English so I was lucky that this Spanish sentiment was a little bonus I got when I received a recent order from Lawn Fawn. It worked perfectly with the Stampin' Up label stamp and punch.


Thanks for dropping by. Like I said, if you're interested in sharing with us, use the linky below. Have a great day!

*smile*

Cindy (aka Scrapcollectr)




5 comments:

KanataNewf said...

Very cool bow-tying contraption. I've seen something similar used by other folks and have been trying to get my other half to make one for me....maybe I should visit M's!

Happy WOTT!

Sheena B

farmhouse-story said...

i just love that bus paper, cindy! and how clever your friend is--great bow maker!

Jaclyn Miller said...

Ha, your desk looks just like mine! LOL. Love how you created that bow too. Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know where you came from - I always wonder if anyone visits from there. :) Have a great day!

Jackie said...

That card is adorable. I love the bow tying thingie. Now I have to go search Michael's and see if I can find one. I was going to make my own, but for $2 that is a great deal!

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

Love your bow thingie, love your card, and (as always) I love seeing other people's stampy desks. :)

I have a knife sharpener much like that contraption you have. Hmmm, maybe I'll actually USE it now. heh heh

I may also take a pic of my desk this week, though it looks much like last week's, only with more stuff piled up.