Thursday, May 31, 2012

Got graduate?


My Stampin Up demo friend, Brenda, showed me how to fold up this adorable card. I decided to recreate it with a Paper Smooches sentiment and decorate it with a new DCWV set of papers called The Snapshot Stack. (I made the tassel with red cord but I think next time I'll try floss...) When this cute grad hat unfolds, this is what my recipient will see:


 All these papers are from the stack. Even the banner was cut from a sheet of banners. I just love DCWV. Their creativity make me look good. Lol. As an example, look at this glittery 12"x12" sheet that I cut up to get that one polaroid image for my card:


So, now I want to show you the steps for folding the hat so you can make your own graduation cap card.

Step 1: Cut an 8"x8" square of sturdy black cardstock. Score at 4" both ways, then score diagonally from one end to another. Only one diagonal score.


Step 2: Fold the 4" lines in. Then turn the square over and fold along the diagonal line. If the 4" lines are mountain folds, then the diagonal is a valley fold. Okay?


Step 3: Use your pointing finger to press down on the center of the square and it will automatically fold in a little.


Step 4: Bring in the sides ...


Step 5: After you've got your folded card ready, then use your bone folder to make all the creases crisp...


Step 6: Make a hole at the center of the front panel for your tassel. Send the string through the hole and secure it with a brad. You will cover the string on the back with patterned paper.... in my case, the polaroid image.

Step 7: Cut a 4" x 5-1/4" panel of white cardstock then mat it with a 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" panel of sturdy black cardstock. Add the sentiment on the bottom and attach the hat above. Decorate the inside squares with 3-3/4" x 3-3/4" patterned paper. For the triangular sections, I just took another two similarly sized squares and cut them on the diagonal. They fit perfectly.

I hope you're tempted to try this. It will surely bring a smile to the face of your honored graduate.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for dropping in!

1 comment:

Queen Lightwell said...

I am inspired to try it! Writing down measurements right now and heading off to the craft room after a bit...a bit more browsing here! :)